19 Oct Contact 999 using NGT Text Service
The NGT service lets deaf, hard of hearing, or speech-impaired people in the UK alert police, ambulance, fire, or coastguard services by either calling via a relay assistant or texting a message to 999 using our emergency SMS service.
999 using a Relay Assistant
Dial 18000 instead of the normal 18001 through the app or from a textphone
1. Open the app and check the icon to see that you’re connected to the internet.
2. Call 18000 on your phone’s dialler.
3. Back in the app, click ‘Join‘ on the pop-up window.
4. You’ll connect to 999 and a Relay Assistant.
5. Tell them which service you need then follow their responses in the app’s conversation window.
6. The 999 operator will then connect you to the right emergency service.
1. Call 18000.
2. You’ll see ‘Emergency, which service? GA’ on your screen.
3. You’ll connect to 999 and a Relay Assistant.
4. Tell them which service you need then follow their responses on the textphone screen.
5. The 999 operator will then connect you to the right emergency service.
999 using a text: emergencySMS
You MUST REGISTER YOUR PHONE before you can use it. See how to set up emergency SMS.